The New St. Paul Baptist Church was organized as a Baptist Mission in 1923, and located on M street S.W in Washington, D.C. under the leadership of rev. King David Hall. The New St. Paul Mission, had split from the Delaware Ave. Baptist Church, which was located at 1105 Delaware Ave. S.W. Six months after the division, Pastor Hall resigned, and Rev. Augustus P. Cook was called as interim Pastor for one year.
Rev. Cook was a dedicated leader who worked long and hard to successfully change the Mission Church into a Baptist Church. This great task was accomplished on March 3, 1926. Dr. W.H. Jeragin, Dr. C.B. Carroll, and Sr. S.M. Moss assisted Rev. Cook in this effort. It was then that Rev. A.P. Cook was elected Pastor of Second New St. Paul Baptist Church.
On August 20, 1929, The Baptist Ministers Conference organized the church. Officers were elected, and necessary items for the church were purchased. The official staff consisted of Deacon Chester Holloway, Chairman. Deacon Henry Young, Luke Holloway and William Gaither. Brother(s) Mark Jackson, Clarence Butler, and Hamilton Johnson. Sister(s) Jannie Davis, Sarah Spencer, Viola Duckett Benson, Lizzie Stewart, Lillian cash, Esther Miller, Bessie Green, Queen Adams, Fannie Botts and Mabel Young. Reverend(s) Jordan L. Taylor, Nannie L. Dilliard, and Amanda Pickett.
The members worshipped on M Street until 1932. During the depression, the church was at its lowest membership with just six members remaining. Burdened with limited membership, the need for a new location was quite evident. The church moved to 120 G Street S.W.
The membership began to rapidly increase, some by Baptism; others under Christian Experience. Records of the church reflect that Sis. Frances O. sharp joined in 1939. as the membership increased, the edifice proved to be inadequate.
The church relocated to 320 F Street S.W. With growing membership and improved conditions; the ministers at that time were Rev. Charles Ross and Rev. Love. Shortly thereafter, one thousand dollars was raised as down payment for a new seven-thousand dollar sanctuary at 480 E Street S.W. The ministers at this location were rev. Love and rev. Walker. Deacons included Roosevelt Agnew, Amos G. Sharp and Joseph Sharp.
During this time, there were about 40 members, but as God would have it, after each move there was an increase in membership.
Following six successful years at this location, a decision was made to purchase a larger sanctuary. The new site previously owned by the Greek Congregation was located at 6th and C Street S.W., however, due to the redevelopment of the southwest area, the church was sold to the government for $58,000.00. The mortgage of $52, 500 was paid to the Greek Denomination, leaving a profit of $5,500.00 of which $4,000.00 was deposited in the bank and was later used as a portion of the down payment on our present location.