Dr. Edgar L. Williams had a dream to utilize unused property as a housing project for Senior Citizens and the Physically Disabled. A committee of qualified church members and well wishers formed to bring this idea to the attention of the Federal Government.
In May 1969, following two years of negotiations, Pastor Williams announced that he had received a telegram from the government informing us that a loan in the amount of $1,520,000.00 had been approved by the Dept. of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) under section 202 of the national Housing Act of 1959. The sum of $110.000.00 was paid to Second New St. Paul Baptist Church for it’s land on which to place a housing complex. On February 11, 1970 the first advance of the loan was received and the construction of the 100-unit apartment building began immediately. In July 1971, tenants were received into the Green Valley Apartments. Pastor Williams’ vision of comfortable, spacious, adequately priced housing for the seemingly forgotten segment was fulfilled. It was a vision of peaceful existence in air-conditioned units, convenient to shopping, transportation, churches, entertainment, and health facilities within the city.
The Grand Opening activities were held on December 4, 1971, with a neighborhood parade led by the Joel Elias Spingarn High School Majorettes, Drum and Bugle Corps with many government organizations in the line of march. Sis. Queen Esther Young accepted the position of management Trainee. Upon completion of her training, she was installed as Office manager and rental Agent. Sis. Young served in this capacity until her retirement in 1997. Currently Tr. Deaconess Jacquelyn McIntyre is Property Manager of the Green Valley Apartments.